bug with `make tag`

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Fri Jun 2 10:34:15 UTC 2006

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 20:36:41 -0700, Christopher Stone wrote:

> > Wasn't sure where to file a bug report like this, so hopefully someone
> > here can point me in the right direction.
> >
> > I just tried `make tag` but had forgotten to commit the changes to my
> > spec and I got an error.  After I committed the changes, I ran `make
> > tag` again but it complained that there was already a tag made with that
> > number.  I tried `make build` but it failed and complained that my spec
> > wasn't tagged properly.
>
> This happens to everybody atleast once.  It's the reason why pygame on
> devel isn't up to date.  There really needs to be a make untag or
> something to fix this IMO.

That this comes up every now and then only proves that packagers are not
careful enough when they work on their packages.

It is already too easy to move an existing tag. Too easy to damage
something in CVS, because we use these tags as the build source. "man
cvs" and reading Makefile.common gives a clue.

If you're not willing to look under the hood, simply bump release, commit
and run make tag once more.