taking over tripwire?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 21:22:06 UTC 2006

On 6/7/06, dwight at supercomputer.org <dwight at supercomputer.org> wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 21:54:42 +0200
> > From: Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl>
> >
> > dwight at supercomputer.org wrote:
> > > I'd like to take over the maintenance of the currently orphaned
> > > tripwire package, unless there's some objection.
> > >
> > > Also, for those who are interested in getting the latest version
> > > to actually install, I posted a patch up on tripwire's sourceforge
> > > site last week.
> > >

> > AFAIK the problem with tripwire is that it doesn't check SELinux
> > security atrributes (ar any xattr for what thats worth) making its value
> > significantly less then it used to be.

There are several problems with tripwire that I have seen mentioned in
the last 2 years. We quit using tripwire due to the 64 bit problem and
just went with rpm -V and some sha256 scripts to do files not loaded
in rpm database.

1) Selinux/xattr aware
2) 64 bit compilation/working
3) Prelink aware
4) Licensing problems with later versions?

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
CSIRT/Linux System Administrator