libdir and python on x86_64

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Thu Jun 8 16:59:27 UTC 2006

Hi,

> > The problem I'm describing is when A.B is put in the arch-dependent one,
> > and A.C in the arch-independent one.  Then programs can only import A.B
> > or A.C, but not both, effectively rendering A useless.
>
> But what you're saying is that both A.B and A.C need to be in the
> arch-dependent path.  Which means that A.C can no longer be built as
> noarch (as if it is, where it ends up randomly depends on which arch
> it's built on)

Correct.  Compared with not working at all on x86_64 and working by
accident on i386, I think this is the lesser of two evils.

Note that most of the packages in question install binaries anyway, so
they're already not parallel-installable.  I don't think anyone has a
need for having both a 32 bit and 64 bit version of flumotion or twisted
running.

Thomas