Retiring: R-gnomeGUI

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at mn.rr.com
Fri Jun 9 00:01:39 UTC 2006

Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> The R-gnomeGUI package relies on ancient gnome libs to function, and
> since those libs are going away in -devel, I'm retiring this package. If
> anyone is motivated to do the work to port this code to gtk2, then I
> would be happy to give them ownership of this package.
>
> ~spot

Tom,

Is this situation FC specific or more general for GNOME moving forward?

It would be worth your posting this to r-devel to give folks a heads up
on this pending situation, since undoubtedly, somebody will try to
compile the CRAN package at some future date and find that it won't.

In addition, Appendix D in the R Admin manual covers the building of the
GUI and will need to be updated to reflect the change.

Barring somebody wanting to port to gtk2, what was a spartan proof of
concept GUI for R, it may be time to finally retire the CRAN package to
orphan status.  Or perhaps to simply make the code available for example
purposes, but not have a functional version if the libs are no longer
going to be available. That's a call for R Core to make.

There are certainly better evolving GUI's for R for those that might
want one.

Best regards,

Marc Schwartz