Retiring: R-gnomeGUI

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at mn.rr.com
Sat Jun 10 15:30:36 UTC 2006

Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 19:01 -0500, Marc Schwartz wrote:
>> Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
>>> The R-gnomeGUI package relies on ancient gnome libs to function, and
>>> since those libs are going away in -devel, I'm retiring this package. If
>>> anyone is motivated to do the work to port this code to gtk2, then I
>>> would be happy to give them ownership of this package.
>>>
>>> ~spot
>> Tom,
>>
>> Is this situation FC specific or more general for GNOME moving forward?
>
> Fedora Core is dropping the ancient GNOME 1 libs in FC-6. GNOME long ago
> moved way past the point where R-gnomeGUI stopped.

Tom,

Thanks for the clarification.

>> Barring somebody wanting to port to gtk2, what was a spartan proof of
>> concept GUI for R, it may be time to finally retire the CRAN package to
>> orphan status.  Or perhaps to simply make the code available for example
>> purposes, but not have a functional version if the libs are no longer
>> going to be available. That's a call for R Core to make.
>
> Yep.
>
>> There are certainly better evolving GUI's for R for those that might
>> want one.
>
> If there is a good gtk2 GUI console (I could not find one), I would be
> willing to put it in Fedora Extras.

I don't know that there is one to be honest.

With the proviso that I am not a R GUI user (I use ESS with emacs 22
from CVS with the XFT patches), the ones that I see discussed relatively
frequently on the R lists (ie. RCmdr, JGR, SciViews, etc.) are not GTK
based.

> At one point, the gnomeGUI tool was described to me as having:
>
> "... not been developed in some years. It is more of a
> technology demonstration than a useable GUI."

That characterization is still accurate.

> Based on that feedback from upstream, and the removal of GNOME 1 libs
> from Fedora Core, I've opted to retire this package.

No disagreement with your decision.

I'll post a note to r-devel (as I noted in my reply to José), so that R
Core is aware of the pending change and can make whatever decisions they
require based upon that information.

Thanks Tom.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz