failed mock build of gnubg on fc4

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Mon Jun 12 15:30:53 UTC 2006

Joost Soeterbroek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am unable to mock build package gnubg on fc4.
>
> I've narrowed it down to an autoconf/automake problem in dir 'intl',
> where Makefile.in is incorrectly generated missing separators for
> SOURCES variable:
>   SOURCES =
>     bindtextdom.c
>     dcgettext.c
>     dgettext.c
>     etc..
> causing make to fail with error "Missing seperator".
>
> It does build successfully (in mock) for fc5 and devel, just not fc-4.
> Build logs are available:
> http://buildsys.fedoraproject.org/logs/fedora-4-extras/10691-gnubg-20060530-5.fc4/i386/
>

> Any ideas?

It's not a mock issue. I can reproduce the issue on an up to date FC-4
system. It seems to be an automake issue; intl/Makefile.in is generated
from intl/Makefile.am and includes two definitions of SOURCES, the first
without the backslashes at the end of each line, and the second one
being correct. Replacing aclocal and automake in the autogen.sh script
with aclocal-1.7 and automake-1.7 from the automake17 package gets you
past this, for reasons I can't fathom.

*Insert here lecture from Ralf on the evils of using autotools in packages*

I suspect it's not worth the bother of fixing this though, because the
next issue you'll hit is:

render.c:48:19: error: cairo.h: No such file or directory

FC-4 doesn't have Cairo and the configure script doesn't offer a means
of turning off Cairo, unless you also turn off GTK2.

Paul.