Re: Who maintains python-numeric

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 06:16:36PM -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 16:08 -0600, Rick Muller wrote:

> > > Isn't this superseeded (by the authors) by numpy?
>
> > Yes, python-numeric has been superceded by numpy, but python-numeric
> > is still used as a dependency in many fedora packages, and thus it
> > would be good to have a version where the eigensolver doesn't hang.

Do you have a list of these packages?

> > But maybe I'm the only person who cares about it, and, since I
> > already have an easy workaround, it isn't that important.

If there are bits offcially shipped that hang then it needs to be
fixed. But I'd rather see python-numeric be removed altogether and the
dependent packages be rebased on numpy.

> Would it not be better to package numpy and put in Provides: and
> Obsoletes: python-numeric?

numpy superseeds numeric, but applications based on numeric need to be
touched. For example instead of "import Numeric" you'll use "import
numpy.oldnumeric".

The numpy folks argue that if a dependent python package hasn't been
converted to use numpy then it's effectively (upstream-)unmaintained.

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net