why do we still ship (gtk1) xmms, when we have bmp

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Sun Jun 18 10:44:19 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-17 at 23:46 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just found about about this xmms fork which is actually still alive
> unlike xmms and uses gtk2 called bmp, and its already in extras, then
> why do we still ship xmms?
>
> I tried bmp and its just like xmms only gtk2 and maintained!
>
> Well actually it was maintained, now the bmp people are working on bmpx,
> but there is a bmp fork called Audacious, which picked up when the bmp
> people stopped maintaining bmp and started working on bmpx. (Notice I
> didn't test Audacious.

Well, you kind of put the finger on the problem right there.  You start
by saying "bmp is maintained".  Then you say "not actually".  And then
you name two other forks/developments of the original fork of xmms.

In other words, until the dust settles and there is an actual obvious
replacement, I don't think people are going to be helped much if we drop
xmms.

Thomas