permissions on gdm session files

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Mon Jun 19 16:53:14 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 09:50 -0400, Chris Ricker wrote:
> Something that came up while reviewing openbox for extras:
>
> What are the correct permissions for gdm session files
> (/usr/share/xsession/*.desktop)?
>
> Most of the existing packages which create them (fluxbox in extras,
> kdebase in core for two examples) make them 755

I'm pretty sure those are plain packaging bugs.

> There doesn't seem to be any functional need for them to be executable,

Based on a quick look into gdm sources, as expected, it doesn't care
about the x bits but will just try to open those files for reading.

> however, that I've found in limited testing and doing so causes rpmlint to
> parse them as shell scripts

No it doesn't, the message id is just a bit misleading.  Use the -i or
-I switches to rpmlint (see the man page) to get the explanation what it
really thinks.