Re: KDE Sub-Packaging Approach on Fedora

Hugo Cisneiros wrote:

I have just submitted a blog post on this:
http://www.devin.com.br/eitch/blog/2006/06/17/kde-sub-packaging-approach-on-fedora/

And I'm bringing this discussion into the list too. I'll paste the post here too:

KDE Sub-Packaging Approach on Fedora
=======
The Current Approach
=======
I talked with many people (20+) and all of them said the same thing: this is really annoying. “There’s got to be a way to install only kopete or kmail, instead of the whole collection of programs”.

The Solution: A Sub-Packaging Approach
=======
This is already used in some distributions, and users appear to like it.

Downside: Maintainership
=======
While having these advantages above, we gain a more complicated specfile,

My personal take (following one of Fedora's core mantras)... upstream, upstream, upstream... how does upstream distribute/package things? IMO, packaging should generally follow suit, and if you don't like that, take your beef upstream(*).

KDE sub-packaging is/will-be a lot more work, for what I consider to be little benefit: primarly less disk space used (and what's a few MB between friends these days?).

OTOH, if package maintainers can handle the extra complexity and don't mind extra workload associated with supporting the sub-package approach, then I don't think anyone is going to tell you that you can't do it.

-- Rex

(*) Unfortunately, I've seen people take this particular beef upstream before, and kde dev's responses are generally disappointing: they (generally) claim this is the job of the distro packager(s). *sigh*.