KDE Sub-Packaging Approach on Fedora

Hugo Cisneiros hugo at devin.com.br
Tue Jun 20 13:54:10 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 20 June 2006 10:33, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> > OK - I'd missed that subtelty, sorry. I suppose that's the best (most
> > consistent) situation that can be hoped for.
>
> Or, follow what koffice in Extras did, and use a meta-package named
> koffice-suite.  A nice advantage of this approach is that since the old
> name is no longer being used, we have the opportunity to drop all those
> darn Epoch's from kde packaging.

And break with upstream package name, package name that the current users are
already accustomed, and kdebase and kdelibs should not be sub-packaged, so
they will still have these nasty Epochs. I see no advantages here.

BTW, I had difficulties into installing koffice because of this reason: a
simply yum install koffice didn't work. Then I installed one for one until I
found out koffice-suite exists (dumb me!) :)

--
[]'s
Eitch

http://www.devin.com.br/eitch/
"Talk is cheap. Show me the code." - Linus Torvalds