KDE Sub-Packaging Approach on Fedora

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Jun 20 14:23:29 UTC 2006

Rex Dieter wrote:
> Hugo Cisneiros wrote:

>>> Or, follow what koffice in Extras did, and use a meta-package named
>>> koffice-suite.  A nice advantage of this approach is that since the old
>>> name is no longer being used, we have the opportunity to drop all those
>>> darn Epoch's from kde packaging.
>>

>> And break with upstream package name, package name that the current
>> users are already accustomed, and kdebase and kdelibs should not be
>> sub-packaged, so they will still have these nasty Epochs. I see no
>> advantages here.
>
> Not if you properly Provides/Obsoletes the old name.  Obviously, the
> subpackaging idea doesn't extend to *all* kde packages, only for the
> ones for which it makes sense.
>
>> BTW, I had difficulties into installing koffice because of this
>> reason: a simply yum install koffice didn't work. Then I installed one
>> for one until I found out koffice-suite exists (dumb me!) :)
>
> I consider that a bug/shortcoming of yum.  koffice-suite properly
> Provides/Obsoletes "koffice",

Really? It Obsoletes koffice but there's no explicit Provide:

$ rpm -qp --provides koffice-suite-1.5.1-1.fc5.i386.rpm
koffice-suite = 1.5.1-1.fc5
# rpm -qp --obsoletes koffice-suite-1.5.1-1.fc5.i386.rpm
koffice <= 4:1.5.1-1.fc5
koffice-i18n < 4:1.5.1

 > but 'yum install' doesn't grok "Provides",
> only real pkgs.  ):

So how come things like "yum install libstdc++.so.5" work?

Paul.