Time to make Extras multi-lib?

Jarod Wilson jwilson at redhat.com
Thu Jun 22 22:47:31 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 21:48 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le jeudi 22 juin 2006 à 15:27 -0400, Jarod Wilson a écrit :
>
> > +1. Making all possible i386 bits available in the x86_64 tree does
> > nothing to hurt folks who want pure x86_64
>
> Unfortunately, that's not true. If you do full mixing it's all too easy
> to start relying on the 386 bits.

If someone wants pure x86_64, it can be done, they just have to not give
in to temptation. ;) I know folks who've done it. Of course, they missed
out on OpenOffice (but that's about to change). Really not a whole lot
else though -- the basics are all there. Every app I use on a regular
basis works fine on pure x86_64.

What if there were an option in yum.conf (dunno, could already be
doable) to not install any i?86 bits, unless the user explicitly
overrides that setting?

> How many developers will run a pure
> 64bit system and check it works ?

I've got a pair of spare x86_64 boxes atm, I'd be happy to give it a
try. Lots of development work on my primary workstation though, so it
stays multilib. :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson at redhat.com