Time to make Extras multi-lib?

Jarod Wilson jwilson at redhat.com
Fri Jun 23 13:28:16 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 20:12 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-06-22 at 18:47 -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > What if there were an option in yum.conf (dunno, could already be
> > doable) to not install any i?86 bits, unless the user explicitly
> > overrides that setting?
>
> It already exists... just do
>   exclude=*.i?86.rpm
> in your yum.conf

I had a feeling something like that would do it.

> > > How many developers will run a pure
> > > 64bit system and check it works ?
[...]
> Realistically, I don't see this as something that's likely to be a big
> problem

Me neither, but I'll go ahead and install a box or two w/a pure 64-bit
FC6t1 later today, to remove any doubt. (One or two boxes isn't exactly
a huge sampling, but I presume the worry is that it wouldn't be usable
at all, so if it is on one box, it should be on another).

So what needs to happen to make this pipe dream a reality? I'm guessing
the issue needs to be raised at the next FESCo meeting, discussed,
possibly voted on, so on and so forth...

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson at redhat.com