Mock and old distributions

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Jun 27 10:44:21 UTC 2006

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 22:31 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
>> Seeing that the need for elfutils in the buildroot for FC4 was
>> discussed
>> in the latest FESCO meeting, I thought I'd report the results of my
>> efforts to build packages for various old distributions using the
>> current version of mock on FC5:
>>

> Thats awesome Paul!  Any chance I could get you to add this to the wiki
> somewhere so that it won't be lost?  I'm sure we'll need this info at
> some point.

I'll update the Legacy/Mock page on the wiki. However, first I'd like to
know what, if anything, will get fixed upstream or in the infrastructure.

For instance, the mock package in Extras is currently shipping with
config files for Red Hat Linux 7.3 and 9, plus Fedora Core 1-devel. The
best place to fix the issue of needing "su" rather than "runuser" for
FC2 and earlier would be in these config files (i.e. an upstream fix).

Similarly, the differing requirements for packages needed in the
buildroots would best be addressed by having the existing infrastructure
at http://buildsys.fedoraproject.org/buildgroups/ updated to include
buildsys-build packages for all of the mock-supported distributions with
the correct dependencies for each.

I can raise bugs for these issues if that's preferred.

That would then just leave the issues that end users need to address on
their own systems, which are best described on the wiki (though adding a
reference to the wiki pages might be a useful addition to the mock README).

Paul.