Broken upgrade paths in FC+FE 2006-06-28

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Jun 29 05:41:53 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 09:14:18PM +0300, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-06-28 at 09:10 -0400, buildsys at fedoraproject.org wrote:
> [lots of broken upgrade paths]
>
> Sadly, it seems that this whine mail hasn't helped noticeably to kick
> folks to fix up their packages' upgrade paths, especially between FC-5
> and devel.  I've filed bugs about a bunch of others cases, and most of
> them have been fixed, but more breakage is introduced all the time.
>
> So, I'm inclined to omit devel from this report for now, and re-enable
> it closer to the FC6 release, hoping that doing so would trigger people
> to fix their stuff at least in released distro branches so they're
> easier to notice and won't be lost in the noise of current FC5->devel
> brokenness.  Objections?

I wouldn't remove, but sort them differently. E.g.

o broken FL issues are highest priority, because they hinder upgrades
  to current releases and are hard to fix + take quite some time to
  find a solutions.

o Next come FC+FE issues of active releases. No FL or devel

o Finally devel issues

Some packages hit multiple categories, in that case only mention them
in the most urgent category (but with all broken paths, not only the
category relevant). Alternatively they could be cast in all categories
they are part of.

The FL related breakage part could be automatically sent to the FL
list, otherwise it will go unnoticed.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net