Clarification on Packaging Guidelines

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Thu Jun 29 15:49:25 UTC 2006

Rex Dieter wrote:
> Eric Work wrote:
>

>>I was previously unsure whether %pre/%post ldconfig lines on shared
>>library devel packages were needed.  In a recent discussion with some
>>others on #fedora-extras I was informed that they were not needed.
>

> The policy is clear, IMO, ldconfig is needed if said package includes any
> shared libraries (pkgs with *symlinks* to shared libs, like most -devel
> ones, don't count).

I think there's an implicit assumption here that you are installing
shared libraries *meant to be picked up by the dynamic linker*. Some
packages ship dynamic libraries that are dlopened() directly by the
application (plugins), in that case calling ldconfig will not do
anything and so is not necessary.

-denis