Questions about build system

Denis Leroy denis at poolshark.org
Thu Mar 2 03:28:12 UTC 2006

I'm maintaining a number of packages that are part of a long dependency
chain  (gcdmaster -> libgnomeuimm -> gtkmm -> glibmm -> libsigc++). Does
that mean that, in order to guarantee that each one of these is build
against the newly rebuilt versions, I have to queue them up in the build
system, say, libsigc++ on monday, glibmm on tuesday, ..., and gcdmaster
on friday :-) ?

I know that mock doesn't handle this like mach does: freshly built
packages in /var/lib/x/result are not automatically used in the prep
phase of the next mock build, and that's currently my biggest gripe
against mock (with otherwise works great). So since plague uses mock,
does this also apply to our build system ?

You might say that if the packages maintain ABI compatibility, it might
not matter, but in the wonderful world of C++ this is not always true...

-denis