Recoding non-UTF-8 documentation?

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Thu Mar 2 11:02:54 UTC 2006

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 09:19:46AM -0600, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> Is there ever a case where it's worth it to recode documentation to
> satisfy a "file-not-utf8" warning from rpmlint?  Some packages fix up
> line endings to quiet rpmlint but I'm not sure about altering the
> character encoding.
>
> If not, then would it be reasonable to remove this warning from
> rpmlint?

  For any XML input just use xmllint --encode UTF-8 ...It will take care of
the encoding conversion, and adjust the XML declaration accordingly

laptop:~ -> cat XML/test/isolat1
laptop:~ -> xmllint --encode utf8 XML/test/isolat1
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf8"?>
<très>là</très>
laptop:~ ->

  Using "UTF-8" might be a bit cleaner than "utf8" but sysnonyms like this
are usually processed fine.

Daniel