non fedora-usermgmt user creation

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed Mar 8 16:43:55 UTC 2006

rdieter at math.unl.edu (Rex Dieter) writes:

>> Ok, let's look at the following %package list for a kickstart (or any
>> other from-scratch) installation

This assumed, that you have a custom local respository.

> OK, so I must've mis-read/mis-remembered past claims that
> fedora-usermgmt in it's unconfigured state was the same as useradd.

Short answer: yes, when you install only the bits from Fedora Extras and
do not configure fedora-usermgmt in some way, it behaves exactly like a
plain 'useradd'.

Long answer: A 'Requires: fedora-usermgmt' brings in:

* a 'instance(fedora-usermgmt)' virtual package which is provided by
  'fedora-usermgmt-shadow-utils' in Fedora Extras. This package
  provides methods for adding the user; the current implementation
  uses shadow-utils.

  Alternatives implementations are possible which use e.g. 'ldapadd'. Such
  alternative implementations can be put into a local repository.

  The 'alternatives' method is used to register and select the wanted
  method.

* a 'setup(fedora-usermgmt)' virtual package which is provided by
  'fedora-usermgmt-setup' in Fedora Extras. This package provides the
  'baseuid' configuration file.

  Alternative implementations are possible which can set a special 'baseuid'
  or use 'alternatives' to select the wanted 'instance(fedora-usermgmt)'
  implementation.

A user, who does not know something about fedora-usermgmt will get the

* fedora-usermgmt-shadow-utils
* fedora-setup

packages from Fedora Extras which provide a setup to behave like a plain
'useradd'.

An administrator, who want to use the fedora-usermgmt features can write
packages providing the 'instance(fedora-usermgmt)' and
'setup(fedora-usermgmt)' virtual provides. During installation, these
packages can configure the system to a special baseuid.

Enrico