syck-python vs. python-syck?

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Mar 10 09:43:27 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-10 at 04:07 -0500, Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:

> > We have syck, perl-YAML-Parser-Syck, so a syck-python package should
> > not exist, all other python modules do have correct naming, eg.
> > python-sqlite, python-twisted, and so on...
> >
> > So syck-python should be moved to python-syck!!!
> >
> > Regarding libxml2-python; The base package is libxml2. BUT, we shoudl
> > think about renaming this to python-libxml2 and do a Provides:
> > libxml2-python.
> >
> > my 2 cent,
> >  -of
> >
> > PS: Maybe also with MySQL-python, gstreamer08-python, gstreamer-python
> > and libopensync-plugin-python.
> While we're at it, let's rename all mono packages to mono-<pkg>, all
> java packages to java-<pkg>, and all C packages to c-<pkg>. That way the
> user can focus on what's really important to a user (the programming
> language of the software) as opposed to irrelevant things like its brand
> name that the user can identify and recognize :)

Isn't the rule of thumb for this that applications use their own names
regardless of language, but supporting libraries/modules use their own
namespace?

e.g.

"grepmail" is a perl-based application that uses the module
"perl-Mail-MBox-MessageParser"

"bittorrent" is a python-based application that uses the library
"python-crypt"

"firefox" is a c++-based application that uses the library "libjpeg"

Paul.