32-bit cvs wine on x86_64

Florian La Roche laroche at redhat.com
Tue Mar 14 09:21:40 UTC 2006

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 11:40:41AM -0500, Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:

> >just do it as you would on a 32bit box ;)
> How's that?
>
> I'm not an expert in those things, I'm just trying to figure out how to
> compile 32-bit wine on x86_64. This requires a large number of i386
> -devel packages, which possibly confict with the x86_64 -devel packages,
> which I have installed, and I don't want to remove. Fedora seems to have
> a parallel /lib /lib64 setup, but it doesn't seem to address the
> parallel -devel issue. It's a packaging problem that I'm complaining
> about. I just want to build an app from source, and install it on my own
> machine in 32-bit mode - esp. since 64-bit doesn't make sense at the moment.

Listing the problems is easy by doing a diff between 32bit and 64bit include
files. Fixing those items up and also then changing the packaging to also
include devel items for 32 and 64bit is a huge chunk of work.

Currently buildsystems are separate between 32bit and 64bit targets and it
is then a runtime item to allow multilib setups to work. That a application
usage item only, not a development item.

regards,

Florian La Roche