non fedora-usermgmt user creation

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Wed Mar 22 12:44:14 UTC 2006

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 11:45:14 +0100, Christian.Iseli at licr.org wrote:

> enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de said:
> > > I could live with it.
>
> > This was too early: changes above will not work; when the package,
> > shadow-utils and fedora-usermgmt are in the same transaction, fedora-usermgmt
> > can be installed *after* the package which would be wrong.
>
> Actually, my thinking was that fedora-usermgmt should not depend on the
> useradd from shadow-utils but completely replace it.  Of course, it means you
> have to repackage the original useradd in fedora-usermgmt...
>
> Then you have something like:
>
> * 'fedora-usermgmt' gets the following headers:
>   |+ Provides: shadow-utils

This is even less predictable at installation-time. For resolving virtual
dependencies currently "shortest package name wins". While useradd from
shadow-utils and fedora-usermgmt are equivalent if not customised, they
are different when customised, and beyond that there's much more inside
the shadow-utils package. You try to hide the dependency, which moves the
missing "Requires: fedora-usermgmt" into nowhere, so admin must take care
even more than before.