non fedora-usermgmt user creation

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Thu Mar 23 12:19:13 UTC 2006

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 22:16:29 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've tried to get out of the fedora-usermgmt, if the fedora-usermgmt
> analysis is correct (need to assign fixed ids in an admin-defined range)
> wouldn't the right thing just be to get a flag added in upstream useradd
> to support this ? No matter how hard we try a wrapper is and always be a
> PITA. So shouldn't the energy be focused on getting the change wher it
> belongs, in useradd proper ?

And into the installer and into kickstart then, too?

> You know. Upstream, upstream upstream. The Fedora mantra.
>
> At least that would get the flames on useradd lists on on the fedora
> ones (runs)

The good thing about a wrapper interface is that you need to use it
explicitly before you get the different and possibly unexpected
behaviour. Without a wrapper, well-known tools would relocate uids/gids
"magically" and would co-exist with tools which don't relocate uids,
e.g. "find / -uid 25 | xargs rm".