Odd mock build problem

Oliver Andrich oliver.andrich at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 19:27:22 UTC 2006

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 01:44:03PM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > let me comment on this as I am the author of this SRPM, which builds
> > without any problem on my FC4 and my FC5Test3 system. I think, this is
> > an obvious bug in the mock stuff, cause without mock everything works as
> > expected. I think, we should file a bug report about this, cause casting
> > some mighty rpm spec file shell magic like above can't be a solution to
> > satisfy mock. :)
>
> what is it you think mock _does_ anyway?

Honestly, I have to admit, that I have to look into mock. I have seen a
requirement so far to actually use it, and so I skipped it completely. I
mean, this is my third contribution to FE, and so I can count as
experienced learning junior packager :) Luckily, this discussion started
about a small package as http-access2, and not about my
planned/work-in-progress ruby-gnome2 contribution.

So, to answer your question. I don't have any estimation about mock
except that it is a chrooted build environment, where I can access
everything that is distributed with Fedora Core. This is also the reason
why I volunteered to use ruby in the template as it is done with perl
and python. And so far, I haven't encountered any problems. ruby-mysql
builds nicely for FC4 and FC5 on the build system. So why should I
assume any issues ahead?

But I am learning.

Best regards,
Oliver