Odd mock build problem

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Wed Mar 1 20:18:46 UTC 2006

OA> Okay, so what I understand I have to do several things. I have to
OA> strip my packages of the macros I have written, cause I can't
OA> assume that they evaluate correctly.

Let's not be so hasty.  We should be able to work something out and
certainly shouldn't go deleting things until we have an idea of what
things should look like.

So here are some questions:

1) Where do Ruby packages go?
   Currently it's /usr/lib/site_ruby (or /usr/lib64/site_ruby) under
   which is one directory per Ruby version, and under which is either
   modules or an arch-specific directory where "so"s and "la"s go.
   This is Red Hat's choice of arrangement so I don't think Extras has
   much choice in the matter, but there were some comments to the
   effect that this is a bad idea.

2) What should Ruby packages require (via Requires:) to make sure Ruby
   installs before them and to bind them to the necessary Ruby ABI
   version?
   Currently we just do the equivalent of Require: /usr/lib/site_ruby
   for noarch packages, and Require: /usr/lib/site_ruby/1.8/i386_linux
   for arch-specific packages.  (s/lib/lib64/ and s/i386/x86_64/ on
   x86_64; I have no idea what PPC does).

3) What specfile macros will accomplish #2 given that we can't use the
   Perl and Python trick of calling the interpreter in the specfile to
   define variables.

So, who is able to give some guidance here?  Can someone talk to Red
Hat's Ruby packagers and get their take on this?

 - J<