Documentation request

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 2 07:10:06 UTC 2006

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

>Ordinary end user are used to
>www.foo.com/uses/also/directorys/to/separate/things.html
>What's harder for them?
>
>No, please don't reply. Rahul, it seems we have different opinion here,
>and discussing them out in a long E-Mail thread probably leads to
>nothing but burning time.

If you ask a question, expect an answer ;-).  The difference between a
multi level ordinary web page and the wiki is that since the wiki allows
multiple people to easily edit and create new pages organizing
information is a lot more harder. I spend hours fixing up things so that
its easily accessible.  One of the rules of thumb here is that every
page has to be accessible from the frontpage in about two or three
clicks. If you create sub pages you need to own the main page and create
links to all the sub pages from the main page. This is something that
needs to be done in a regular fashion for Extras.

While it is easier for project pages such as Documentation or
Ambassadors, the end user targeted is better found at the root level
IMO.  If you create categories, then you can just use
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CategoryCategory to keep track of the
pages and use regex searches in the main pages to link to the
information. If you are going to create sub pages, you own the
responsibility in linking to the main pages.

--
Rahul