Still source not found :Prep Error (Job 5672): l2tpd-0_69-0_3_20051030_fc5 on fedora-development-extras (fwd)

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Mar 2 19:36:52 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 19:58 +0100, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Ville Skyttä wrote:

> > > The "sources" file is broken. Verify yourself:
> > >
> > >   cvs co -r l2tpd-0_69-0_3_20051030_fc5 l2tpd
> > >
> > > $ cat sources
> > > 6ed1d2dc758627426015de8f87654a03  l2tpd-MSL2TP-StopCCN.patch
> >
> > Additionally, the latest ".cvsignore" in CVS has only the above patch;
> > it should have at least the tarball, and probably not the patch.  And
> > "sources" contains all the patches in addition to the tarball, I guess
> > it should not have the patches in it since they're in CVS.
>
> Hmm, now I am really confused. When my sources file just had the tar ball,
> I was told it needed the patches too. Now that it has the patches, i am
> told it doesn't need anything but the tar ball.
>
> This errors stems from me not finding documentation on how to properly update
> a package with a new patch and version. Since I originally used the cvs-import.sh
> script to import a src rpm into my devel/fc4/fc3 branches, as documented on
> the website, I had never used the 'make new-sources FILES="filelist"' command
> before. Apparnetly I have wrongly used it when just adding the new patch file to the
> FILES list, thereby obliterating the checksum of the tarball from 'sources', but
> I also did it wrong when i redid new-sources using a full FILES="" list containing
> tar ball and all patches.
>
> Could someone tell me, or better yet, write up on the wiki, what is the appropriate
> cooking recipe for upgrading your package with an additional patch/source file?

The way it works is:

a) patches go in CVS; you 'cvs add <patchfile>', then commit them
b) binary sources, like *.tar.gz or *.tar.bz2, go in 'sources', do NOT
get added to CVS, and get uploaded with 'make upload FILES=<binary
source file>'
c) Some sources, like initscripts, that aren't distributed with the
upstream tarball, could go into the 'sources' file

But patches _always_ go into CVS, not in the sources file.  I'm sure
there's a wiki page on this somewhere, of course.

Dan