Release tag conventions (Was: rpms/libnc-dap/devel libnc-dap.spec, 1.3, 1.4)

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Fri Mar 3 09:42:04 UTC 2006

> > It also allows to keep spec file in sync for the different branches.
> Non sense. devel must always be greater than the rest.

Indeed. But it isn't in contradiction with what I said.

Imagine you have a package in FC-4 and devel and you want to keep the
spec files in sync as much as possible, but there are small differences
nevertheless. For example there is an excludearch in devel because the
computer segfaults for this arch in devel. In the beginning the release
is the same for both branches. Then for example you try a build without the
excludearch in devel. It is possible to bump the release, but extending
the release such that the release numbers are kept in sync makes sense,
such that, later the release may be bumped on all branches when there is
a non trivial change. If it happens that it isn't possible to keep the
differences between branches minimal, then it may make sense to lose
the synchro between specs for the branches, and then bump release
independently but when it is possible to keep them in sync, it may makes
sense.

> > It also allows to keep spec file in sync for the different branches.
> branches! -- Devel isn't a branch.

? The branches are devel, FC-3 and FC-4 ???

--
Pat