--vendor fedora, rationale/motivation?

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Fri Mar 3 15:28:53 UTC 2006

Per
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/FedoraDesktopEntryGuidelines:
The vendor prefix (desktop-file-install --vendor=...) must be set to
fedora".

I don't understand the rationale/motivation behind requiring '--vendor
fedora'

I can, however, see that desktop-file-install's current
implementation(*) of prepending %{vendor}- to the .desktop file name has
some problems/issues:
1.  .desktop filename now varies from upstream
2.  --vendor may change when/if Extras bits are pulled into Core and/or
RHEL.
3.  *In particular*: when users start employing menu editors, since
most(all?) of them base their customizations on the .desktop file name.

-- Rex

(*) If desktop-file-install's implementation instead followed something
like kde's practice of using a vendor directory (e.g.
/usr/share/applications/kde), then (1) and (3) would no longer be an issue.