[Important] Removed orphans from repository

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Sat Mar 4 13:47:19 UTC 2006

The Wiki page where we try to track packages which become orphaned:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/OrphanedPackages

In an attempt to clean up the package repository further for FC5, and
based on the results of FESCO's last meeting, the following unmaintained
packages have been disabled in Fedora Extras CVS (which means, the spec
file won't build anymore without editing it) and more importantly, have
been removed from the Fedora Extras Development repository.

This implies that users may need to "yum remove" any of these packages
from their installations because else upgrades from FC4 or older may not
work without problems.

(text continued below)

abe
arc
cgoban
cksfv
cvsup
dillo
elmo
freedroidrpg
gdeskcal
gkrellm-themes
gktools
gnofract4d
gnome-password-generator
gnome-telnet
gnome-themes-extras
gonvert
gtkglarea2
gtkterm
gurlchecker
hping2
libzvt
manedit
mknbi
monkey-bubble
netdiag
nget
parchive
perl-Net-SCP
perl-Net-SSH
prozilla
rpmproc
screem
sirius
tdl
tetex-arabtex
tetex-armtex
tetex-font-tipa
tetex-lgrind
themes-backgrounds-gnome
wbxml2
whowatch

In one case (dillo) a dependency was found (sylpheed-claws requires
dillo). gtkglarea2 was not removed from the repository, because lablgtk
requires it. This means that owners.list should be adjusted accordingly.
For every "potentially orphaned" package (for an explanation of this
terminology refer to the Wiki page) there must be at least one person who
is added to incoming bug reports in bugzilla, either as the package owner
or via Cc.

As another step we need to decide what to do with these packages in
Fedora Extras 4 (and older).