troubleshooting x86_64 build failures on i386 hardware

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Sat Mar 4 18:59:07 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-04 at 13:28 -0500, John Ellson wrote:
> Joost Soeterbroek wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I currently have build failure on x86_64 arch for package xmms-cdread:
> > http://buildsys.fedoraproject.org/logs/fedora-development-extras/5834-xmms-cdread-0.14-7/
> >

> There is a xmms-cdread-x86_64.patch and a xmms-cdread.spec.patch
> at http://www.graphviz.org/pub/tmp/
>
> At least it builds for me now.
>
> The patch is large because I had to:
>     libtoolize --force --copy
>     aclocal
>     automake  --force-missing --copy
>     autoconf
>
> Here is a summary of the changes I made:
>
> Makefile.am      - use AM_CFLAGS instead of CFLAGS, add "depcomp" to
> EXTRA_DIST
> aclocal.m4       - from running aclocal
> cdconf.c         - add #include <string.h> to suppress warning
> cdread.c         - use "unsigned char*" instead of gchar* to suppress
> gcc4 warnings
>                  - disable _fini() because it collides with _fini() from
> /usr/lib64/crti.o,  its not used anyway???
> cdromlinux.h     - use "unsigned char*" instead of char* to suppress
> gcc4 warning
> configure.in     - use ${libdir} instead of ${prefix}/lib so as to pick
> up /usr/lib64
> depcomp          - from running automake
> fileinfo.c       - add #include <string.h>, #include <stdlib.h>, to
> suppress warnings
> ltmain.sh        - from running lbtoolize
> playlist.c       -  add #include <string.h>, #include <stdlib.h>, to
> suppress warnings
> Makefile.in      - from running automake
>

> The key problem was likely the collision of _fini()

With Joost's build, this strikes me as the relevant configure output:

*** Warning: the command libtool uses to detect shared libraries,
*** /usr/bin/file, produces output that libtool cannot recognize.
*** The result is that libtool may fail to recognize shared libraries
*** as such.  This will affect the creation of libtool libraries that
*** depend on shared libraries, but programs linked with such libtool
*** libraries will work regardless of this problem.  Nevertheless, you
*** may want to report the problem to your system manager and/or to
*** bug-libtool at gnu.org

Which causes the libtool build to only create a static libcdread.(a|so)
file.

Since you re-ran libtoolize on your working package, I lean towards the
libtool file included with the xmms-cdread tarball as the cause of this
particular build failure.  Is the output of file on Rawhide x86_64 not
parsable by older libtools?

(Not to say that the rest of your changes won't be necessary as well :-)

-Toshio