Orpahns? (Re: Rebuild status)

Fredrik Tolf fredrik at dolda2000.com
Sat Mar 4 19:08:35 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-03-04 at 18:43 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:

> > > Fredrik Tolf/oliver
> > > Imported on Sat Jul 9 2005, no activity since then.
> >
> > Oliver imported this package for me before I had got a Fedora account.
> > The entire process of trying to obtain a Fedora account in order to
> > maintain it then became too much trouble for me, and I gave it up.
>
> What exactly became too much trouble?

Well, it was over half a year ago now, so I don't really recall it all,
but there is quite a deal of work with the whole thing. Signing legal
papers (be it with GPG or not), getting approval from physical persons,
setting up CVS/plague/what-not, reviewing a number of packaging
guidelines, etc. -- all in all, it's all quite a deal of work just to
get one little package or two into Extras.

I remember that, at the time, I made a comparison with getting the same
package into Gentoo's portage, and the differences were quite obvious:
Just submit an ebuild to bugs.gentoo.org, get a little feedback on its
quality, fix it, and you're done. I do realize, of course, that that's
probably a great deal more work on the behalf of Gentoo's maintainers,
so I do understand why Fedora has taken the path it has, but
nonetheless, I felt that it was too much trouble for me to be worth it
just for one little package of mine.

It may well be true that I'm lazy, but isn't that supposed to be a
virtue for programmers? ;)

Fredrik Tolf