[games sig] Downloader for shareware data files for gpl engines such as vavoom

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Mon Mar 6 19:02:26 UTC 2006

Bill Nottingham wrote:
>>> Right now we structure things so people can redistribute
>>> any CDs of Core or Extras that they want, or freely *build
>>> OSes on top of them*.
>>>
>> How does this stop redistribution on CD, its normal access fees only,
>> electronic and still an rpm thus compressed or ... ?
>
> Someone building an OS on top of it may not qualify for the
> 'normal access fees' test.

Someone building an OS on top would be in trouble with any freely
distributable content, as freely distributable != being able to build on
top of it. This thus seems a non argument as the guidelines talk about
"to freely distribute" wich clear != "to build a(n) XXXX on top of it"

Also releated but unanswered from my first reply:
"Thus appearantly shareware data-files are ok content, due to the nature
of shareware (this is a limited version pay us for the full version) the
datafiles are almost by definition not for commercial use. (The rights
for commercial use is clearly reservered by the copyright, through the
full version and possible other versions)."

Since there is a clear exception for shareware content (not code!) and
you've not shown any _distributing_ restrictions I believe that the
discussed content license is OK.

>>> Anything that would require 'oh, you can't include this package
>>> XXX in something you base on Fedora' isn't really feasible.
>> This isn't really true actually there has been discussion in the past
>> about allowing non-commercial (scientific) software into FE and although
>> it was never allowed, it was never denied either afaik this decision
>> still has to be made in the mean time it seems everyone is acting as if
>> this was denied.
>>
>> Also in the past it has been discussed wether we actually want to cater
>> CD creation again no decision was made.
>
> Why would you want to prevent it?

I'm not saying that we want to prevent it, I actually agree that we
should cater CD creation, but this is not official policy.

Neither was the non-commercial issue ever decided. Although it does seem
to have become policy, a policy which I BTW fully agree with (for code
not for content).

Regards,

Hans