non fedora-usermgmt user creation

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon Mar 6 19:40:34 UTC 2006

mmcgrath at fedoraproject.org (Mike McGrath) writes:

> I'm just trying to get a little background on this fedora-usermgmt and
> user creation problem.  The page in the wiki I'm talking about here
> is:
>
> http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/UserCreation
>
> The way I understand it is we're trying to avoid creating users with
> UID's that are already reserved

The purpose of 'fedora-usermgmt' is, to create a (system)user with the
same, predictable uid on every installation ('rpm -U') and on every
machine.

> for a package that has not yet been installed.  Having every package
> that requires a user register it seems un-reasonable since the number
> of UID's is finite and the number of packages that create users is
> large.

On my machines, I reserve the uid-range from 63000 to 63999 for
fedora-usermgmt and I am optimistically that this range is enough
for the next years.

If we ever exceed it, fedora-usermgmt can be easily extended to use
another range for special uids resp. uids greater a certain value.

> The problem I have with the UserCreation page in the wiki is it provides
> no non fedora-usermgmt creation alternatives.

Some macro-mania was added some days ago, which allow a '--without
fedora-usermgmt' switch.

Enrico