Trying again, doom shareware license

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Mon Mar 6 21:50:18 UTC 2006

Warren Togami wrote:
> Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sorry for those getting tired, but in the first mails in this
>> discussion we had both the quake and the doom licenses, the one which
>> got discussed a lot was the quake one because that was dubious and
>> turned out to be not ok.
>>
>> I believe the doom one is actually distributable under the current
>> guidelines, I've attached the (ammended) license from the Debian doom
>> shareware package. Opinions much valued as always.
>>
>> To make things easy I'll quote the IMHO most relevant part:
>>
>> "The DOOM shareware wad is freely distributable.  No Quake data is
>> freely distributable.
>>
>> John Carmack"
>>

> "You may not:  modify, translate, disassemble, decompile, reverse
> engineer, or create derivative works based upon the Software."
>
> While being fully redistributable is important for Fedora, so is being
> fully modifiable.  This license allows no modification at all.
>
> Are we shipping anything else that allows free redistribution but no
> modification?  AFAIK no.  I personally would love to ship this in
> Fedora, but I think we shouldn't violate a central tenet in doing so.

I fully agree for code, but this is content and falls under the binary
firmware guidelines (it says so specificly on the packaging guidelines
wiki page).

I would like to include this for the original (iow unmodified) look and
feel, for people how want todo mods we could ship freedom which is BSD
licensed replacement content. (of somewhat lesser quality unfortunatly)

Regards,

Hans