Odd mock build problem

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Tue Mar 7 00:17:40 UTC 2006

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 21:45:51 +0100, Oliver Andrich wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 12:58:41AM +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > No. There is no magic. And it doesn't pull in anything.
>
> Hm, well the logic behind it is clear to me, but why doesn't it pull
> anything into my mock chroot?

Because it doesn't add any "BuildRequires".

> I have understood so far, that ruby is not
> part of the basic build environment and that is the reason why my
> initial template code doesn't work.

There are two passes. Pass one creates the src.rpm in an environment where
ruby is missing. That alone ("command not found" errors) would not be the
reason for a fatal build error, *if* the results of running ruby were not
used to construct a tag in the spec file. It's really just the empty
"Requires:" line which causes the src.rpm build to fail. Pass two takes
the src.rpm, queries its build requirements (rpm -qpR) and installs
the missing packages into the build chroot. Only then ruby is installed
to be available at build-time.

> After doing the changes, I also checked the content of the chroot
> environment of mock out of curiosity, and there was a neat little ruby
> installation? How did it find its way into this enviroment?

BuildRequires: ruby