non fedora-usermgmt user creation

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Mar 8 08:57:06 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-07 at 19:06 +0100, Enrico Scholz wrote:
> rc040203 at freenet.de (Ralf Corsepius) writes:
>
> >> 2. 'fedora-usermgmt' eases propagation of UIDs to NIS/LDAP servers.
> >
> > Well, it is just ONE way of doing it, but it is not "the only way to do
> > it", nor is it "THE CORRECT way of doing it"
>
> Did I said something like this?
No, but it's what fedora-usermgmt does.

YOU are dictating uid ranges, YOU are fixing uids, you are forcing
packagers to pollute their specs with YOUR proprietary stuff.

> > It's not much more but the way YOU prefer, and as such it inevitably
> > will conflicts with other approaches/strategies.
>
> As written in this thread, without explicit configuration
> 'fedora-usermgmt' behaves exactly like a plain 'useradd' and will
> conflict with other approaches/strategies exactly like a plain useradd
> (which seems to be accepted by you).
Then remove it from the specs, make it a runtime options and let it act
completely transparent.

As I see it, fedora-usermgmt is not transparent, the fact it appears
inside of the specs proves it.

Ralf