non fedora-usermgmt user creation

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Wed Mar 8 19:41:42 UTC 2006

steve at silug.org (Steven Pritchard) writes:

>> This will not bring very much. The special package must be installed
>> before packages using fedora-usermgmt. And such packages will be
>> installed during the default package installation.
>
> Why not install them later in %post?

Who is 'them'? Default package installation can install a lot of packages,
why should I use %post to install packages when there exists a method
which is designed to install packages?

I do not understand the sense of this discussion: when a scriptlet uses a
program, a corresponding Requires(...) MUST exist for this program. There
exist exceptions (e.g. for generating cache-files) but none of them apply
here.

We are speaking about Fedora Extras where 'Requires: fedora-usermgmt'
can be fulfilled. This is a very minimal and non intrusive package
without bad (technical) sideeffects.

>> Some from-scratch installation methods (e.g. mock) do not have a %post
>> phase either.
>
> And why won't plain useradd work in those cases?

Dunno, this enumeration was not complete. What is with Xen- or
chroot-environment bootstrapping?

Enrico