non fedora-usermgmt user creation

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 9 21:39:21 UTC 2006

Enrico Scholz wrote:

>The only argument against fedora-usermgmt in this thread was "my spec
>file does not build for other distributions without modifications". But
>sorry, this argument is void because this is a Fedora Extras list, not a
>cross-distribution one.

It doesn't even work for Fedora without changes to a very important
subsystem that requires configuration to make any difference anyway.  If
I as a sys admin wanted to use this system then I'd install it and
change fedora-useradd to just useradd, then our spec files can require
/usr/sbin/useradd.  I see no need to make adding a user propriatary just
because one or two people think I should.  I know its optional and all
but this is the reason why I'm choosing not to use fedora-usermgmt.

    -Mike