Comps, or, Making it Easier for Users to Find Software

Rick L Vinyard Jr rvinyard at cs.nmsu.edu
Sat Mar 11 17:21:25 UTC 2006

> Hans de Goede (j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl) said:
> > >Generally, fonts are included as part of the language support groups.
> >
> > Erm
> >
> > We (FE) are packaging more and more good general (iow not language
> > specific) free fonts. I like the idea of a font group.
>
> Well, if it's good for the general case, shouldn't it be part of
> one of the desktop groups?

>From a user's perspective, I like the idea of fonts available as an
individual package.

While it is true that any user could manually install the fonts, having
packages available makes the fonts accessible to those that don't have
the time to hunt down and manually install a given font.

In general, I think that any particular font that is packaged
individually is simply going to be used by more people than it would if
it were part of another package.