[ruby] multilib and noarch

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Thu Mar 16 07:19:19 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 13:34 +0900, Akira TAGOH wrote:

> VS> One more bit for consideration: because it looks like some backwards
> VS> incompatible changes are inevitable, this would be a good opportunity to
> VS> move the noarch parts to /usr/share.  The benefits would be the
> VS> usual /usr/share ones, like %{_netsharedpath} and read only (NFS)
> VS> mounts.
>
> What does "some backwards incompatible changes" mean here?
> just adding /usr/lib/ruby/<version>/ into the search path
> for 64bit archs is an option as well I think.

Someone who knows more about ruby will have to fill in the details here
and judge how bad the incompatiblity is or whether it actually exists,
but I'd imagine ruby's corresponding functionality as python's distutils
and friends (or is it only the already discussed paths in the config?)
needs to be also modified so that noarch things are installed to that
path.