non fedora-usermgmt user creation

Christian.Iseli at licr.org Christian.Iseli at licr.org
Wed Mar 22 15:01:07 UTC 2006

> bugs.michael at gmx.net said:
> On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 14:52:17 +0100, Christian.Iseli at licr.org wrote:
>

> > bugs.michael at gmx.net said:
> > > A link in the dependency chain. A way to pull in automatically a package
> > > which (assuming we stick to the current mechanism implemented by Enrico)
> > > provides the 'setup(fedora-usermgmt)' capability and hence the defaults
> > > chosen by the admin.
> >
> > I still fail to see how that helps for Core packages.
>
> Now you create another loop.

Huh ?  That's the same ol' loop...

> We don't try to modify the behaviour of Core functionality (e.g. useradd)
> from the outside (read: Fedora Extras).

Yes you do.  Automatically adding a user to the system is a functionnality
that is provided by FC.  Some admins do not like the way it works and provide
a replacement called fedora-usermgmt.  But instead of letting the admin decide
which method he prefers, you try to convince all FE packagers they should use
this replacement.  (Moreover, even if the admin decides he likes the
replacement, it won't help him any with the FC packages because they won't use
the replacement.  But let's forget about this for an instant)

What I proposed is to come up with a scheme that actually let the admin
choose, and not require to convince all FE packagers they should change their
packages.  I thought that a fedora-usermgmt package that fully replaces
shadow-utils would work.  You seem to think it can't work...

> Unless you want to push the entire
> implementation directly into shadow-utils, making it completely
> transparent and adding a configure option to the installer front-ends. ;)

Why not ?

That would probably be the best solution in the end... (and stop this thread
too :) )