What's worse: unowned directories or multiple owners?

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Fri Mar 31 14:29:00 UTC 2006

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 15:33:33 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> > > It would pull in another package you don't want and don't have any use
> > > for. That's why I consider it harmful.
> >
> > That's why ownership of directories should be limited to one package only
> > _and_ no such dependencies on directories must be implemented as long as
> > there are multiple packages which provide that directory.
>
> With all due respect, you are trying to derive a general rule and to
> overengineer a rule, were there is none. It all depends on details.

Yes, I want to avoid pitfalls. /etc/init.d is one such pitfall.
/usr/share/foo may become another one if multiple packages own it as a
directory.

> > But you don't want to understand. I do not propose such a "Requires".
>
> A Requires(pre): <dir> is appropriate for plugs-ins, which are tied to
> one or several applications, such as mozilla/firefox plugins.

Yes, but this question was on "/usr/share/emacs".
Quoting you. ;)

> Examples for corner cases would be pkgconfig files, aclocal macros or
> tex styles. Here it's up to the eye of the beholder to decide if these
> are tied to one application or if they are optional components.

$ repoquery --whatprovides /usr/share/applications
nautilus-0:2.14.0-1.i386
glade2-0:2.12.1-2.i386
gthumb-0:2.7.3-2.i386
file-roller-0:2.14.0-1.i386
openoffice.org-math-1:2.0.2-5.2.2.i386
openoffice.org-calc-1:2.0.2-5.2.2.i386
openoffice.org-draw-1:2.0.2-5.2.2.i386
filesystem-0:2.3.7-1.2.1.i386
gftp-1:2.0.18-3.2.1.i386
gnome-terminal-0:2.14.0-1.i386
eog-0:2.14.0-1.i386
gdm-1:2.14.0-1.i386
bug-buddy-1:2.14.0-1.i386
gnome-media-0:2.14.0-2.i386
gnome-system-monitor-0:2.14.0-1.i386
gnome-session-0:2.14.0-1.i386
gnome-games-1:2.14.0-1.i386
system-config-httpd-5:1.3.3-1.1.noarch
gedit-1:2.14.0-1.i386
openoffice.org-writer-1:2.0.2-5.2.2.i386
gnome-utils-1:2.14.0-3.i386
xscreensaver-base-1:4.24-1.1.i386
openoffice.org-base-1:2.0.2-5.2.2.i386
kdelibs-6:3.5.1-2.3.i386
openoffice.org-impress-1:2.0.2-5.2.2.i386
dia-1:0.94-19.i386
gedit-1:2.14.1-1.i386
xscreensaver-base-1:4.24-2.i386

$ repoquery --whatprovides /usr/lib/pkgconfig
libXext-devel-0:1.0.0-3.2.i386
fontconfig-devel-0:2.3.94-1.i386
gtk2-engines-0:2.7.4-3.i386
libXi-devel-0:1.0.0-2.2.i386