optional game music files

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon May 1 23:12:45 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 06:03 -0700, Michael A. Peters wrote:

> Yes - replacing large amounts of content that does not change for a
> small patch that has no effect on content whatsoever is an incredible
> waste of bandwidth, which some people have to pay for on a usage basis.
>
> There needs to be an exception defined to the rule for such cases, as
> splitting the static content from the code is a practice that should be
> encouraged, not discouraged.

If the content is required for game functionality, but split into a
separate tarball (e.g. game music, levels), then I see no reason that a
package containing that content would not be permissible under FE
Guidelines (assuming that the content is freely distributable without
restriction).

The "no OGG/MP3" rule was primarily to prevent people from doing
something stupid, not to prevent games with static content in separate
tarballs to be punished.

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway: Red Hat Senior Sales Engineer || GPG ID: 93054260
Lemurs, llamas, and sparcs, oh my!