[Fedora-music-list] Re: package naming question: muse -vs - MusE

Russell Harrison rtlm10 at gmail.com
Tue May 9 03:34:16 UTC 2006

Out of curiosity,

Assuming that the current extras package was renamed would it only be
implemented in the current development / future versions?  Using RPM how
would we go about upgrading the current package to the new name.
Using obsoletes would work initially to replace it if there wasn't a new
package coming in with the same name.  That would then cause anyone
installing emacs-muse after muse to have their muse package removed.

What is the proper way of doing this?  My understanding of RPM leads me to
believe that the "cleanest" way to include the new muse package in FC5 is
for its package to be renamed, even though the current package is the
"proper" candidate for renaming.  The other option is to change the names
for FC6+ and call it done.

Am I right about this or is there a mechanism I'm unaware of?