[Fedora-music-list] Re: package naming question: muse -vs - MusE

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Tue May 9 04:17:00 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 23:34 -0400, Russell Harrison wrote:
> Out of curiosity,
>
> Assuming that the current extras package was renamed would it only be
> implemented in the current development / future versions?  Using RPM
> how would we go about upgrading the current package to the new name.
> Using obsoletes would work initially to replace it if there wasn't a
> new package coming in with the same name.  That would then cause
> anyone installing emacs-muse after muse to have their muse package
> removed.
>
> What is the proper way of doing this?  My understanding of RPM leads
> me to believe that the "cleanest" way to include the new muse package
> in FC5 is for its package to be renamed, even though the current
> package is the "proper" candidate for renaming.  The other option is
> to change the names for FC6+ and call it done.
>
> Am I right about this or is there a mechanism I'm unaware of?

I think (not sure) you can have emacs-muse obsolete specific versions
ranges of muse, but I'm not positive.

Personally - I say do the emacs-muse thing now, as in yesterday, with
obsolete/provides for muse.

Then in FC-6/devel, drop the obsolete/provides.

FC-5 users will have muse replaced with emacs-muse and then when fc-6 is
released, they will get an emacs-muse that does not obsolete muse - and
can install this other package.

People trying to yum update from FC-4 to FC-6 really should make a pit
stop in FC-5 first anyhow.