Documentation-only packages

Tim Jackson lists at timj.co.uk
Tue May 9 13:07:05 UTC 2006

Since nobody objected or said they were working on it when I asked
before, I'm going to create a PHP manual package.

As a doc-only package, I'm not sure about a few things (the wiki doesn't
seem to say a lot) so I'd appreciate any comments/suggestions on the
following points:

1. Naming. "php-docs" would fit with the usual convention. "php-manual"
would be more descriptive of what it actually is. Preferences anyone?

2. Versioning. The docs aren't actually versioned as such, but dated. OK
to use date e.g. "20060421" as version number?

3. Filesystem location. %{_datadir}/doc/%{name} OK? Or should it be
%{_datadir}/doc/%{name}-%{version}?

4. Localisation. The manual is available in many different languages,
distributed separately. I am only proposing to package the English
version at the moment. This creates two issues:

a) Name - should the package actually be name php-docs-en (or
php-manual-en) rather than php-docs/php-manual?

b) File location - regardless of %{name}, and assuming php-manual was
chosen as the convention, should the file location be:

%{_datadir}/doc/php-manual/en/*

or

%{_datadir}/doc/php-manual-en/*

?

Also, although at the moment I am only proposing to package HTML
version, other versions are available. This adds another variable.
Therefore, should location be:

%{_datadir}/doc/php-manual-en/html/

or

%{_datadir}/doc/php-manual/en/html/