Documentation-only packages

Don Russell bugzilla at drussell.dnsalias.com
Tue May 9 17:49:35 UTC 2006

Tim Jackson wrote:
> Since nobody objected or said they were working on it when I asked
> before, I'm going to create a PHP manual package.
>
> As a doc-only package, I'm not sure about a few things (the wiki
> doesn't seem to say a lot) so I'd appreciate any comments/suggestions
> on the following points:
>
> 1. Naming. "php-docs" would fit with the usual convention.
> "php-manual" would be more descriptive of what it actually is.
> Preferences anyone?

I would prefer php-manual. It's intuitive, and as you say, "more
descriptive of what it actually is". Isn't that where the "man" command
from? "manual <topic>"?

"docs" is slang; "manual" is a word people can look up. (Maybe not a
real problem, but why perpetuate something not necessary when a very
good alternative is available? :-)

There are various -manual files... you won't be setting a precedent.