[Fedora-music-list] Re: package naming question: muse -vs - MusE

Tue May 9 17:51:39 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 21:17 -0700, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 23:34 -0400, Russell Harrison wrote:
> > Out of curiosity,
> >
> > Assuming that the current extras package was renamed would it only be
> > implemented in the current development / future versions?  Using RPM
> > how would we go about upgrading the current package to the new name.
> > Using obsoletes would work initially to replace it if there wasn't a
> > new package coming in with the same name.  That would then cause
> > anyone installing emacs-muse after muse to have their muse package
> > removed.
> >
> > What is the proper way of doing this?  My understanding of RPM leads
> > me to believe that the "cleanest" way to include the new muse package
> > in FC5 is for its package to be renamed, even though the current
> > package is the "proper" candidate for renaming.  The other option is
> > to change the names for FC6+ and call it done.
> >
> > Am I right about this or is there a mechanism I'm unaware of?
>
> I think (not sure) you can have emacs-muse obsolete specific versions
> ranges of muse, but I'm not positive.
>
> Personally - I say do the emacs-muse thing now, as in yesterday, with
> obsolete/provides for muse.
>
> Then in FC-6/devel, drop the obsolete/provides.
>
> FC-5 users will have muse replaced with emacs-muse and then when fc-6 is
> released, they will get an emacs-muse that does not obsolete muse - and
> can install this other package.
>
> People trying to yum update from FC-4 to FC-6 really should make a pit
> stop in FC-5 first anyhow.

It is regretful that the existing (emacs) muse version is 3.02.6b is
higher than the (sequencer/audio recorder) muse version (0.8.1a).

Which means that fc5 Planet CCRMA users would not be able to install
(audio) muse as emacs-muse would obsolete it, right?

Unless emacs-muse obsoletes just the current version of muse in extras.

-- Fernando